View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
Pat Sullivan

Default Eurovan as tow vehicle

I appreciate those interested in helping us understand, respectfully. Yes I am serious about the Eurovan. In researching using this vehicle to tow an ultralight trailer I asked two dealers, our long time VW mechanic, the TrailManor dealer and the company that put on the brake controller and connector. It certainly isn't a big ole SUV which I may end up going with for safety, I'd prefer to keep this vehicle. We do canine rescue work with golden retrievers and the Eurovan's bed and easy access is primarily a dog thing at this point.

Really I wouldn't havebought the Elkmont if I wasn't trying to use this van. Too old to deal with the pop up trailers, so this seemed like a good $25,000.00 option.

Ok, so let me put the numbers out there and welcome and would value any input so we are understanding.

The 2003 Eurovan MV is a 6 cylinder, 201hp. It is rated 4500 pounds for pulling a trailer with brakes. The "total permissible weight" ACCORDING TO THE MANUAL IS 5800 POUNDS. Total weight of the combination (sum of the trailer and towing vehicle weights) is about 10,000 lbs.

Thanks for your input. Today we drove back from the dealer and had no difficulty. We felt safe, albeit we didn't drive up any mountain.

Thanks again,