View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager2 View Post
After reading everyone's posts on this subject, I hooked up in the driveway and did some tests. The fridge works only on shorepower or gas. When we purchased our Elkmont, the dealer told us "auto" would automatically choose between 110 and 12 VDC. Guess he didn't know what he was talking about either.

Now the question becomes what to do on long trips to keep the unit cold. We have been fine for 2-3 hour trips, but what do you do when you are on the road for 7-8 hours? I really don't want to drive down the road with fridge in gas mode. Anyone have any suggestions?
If your fridge is like mine, then there is an automatic switch over between 120 volt and gas. When you unplug shore power, then the gas cuts on. There should be a button on your fridge panel that will allow gas only, no matter if you are plugged into shore power or not. I make sure the gas only button is pushed before starting up my generator while dry camping......if I didn't, then the fridge would switch from gas to 120 volt as soon as I plug my generator in.

After traveling with an ice box in my slide in camper and pop-up, and then the 3 way fridge in my Trailmanor, I was uncomfortable with going down the road with my propane tanks on and fridge operating on my conventional travel trailer.......and still don't like the idea. But I do it, as probably 90% of the non-3-way refrigerator owners do going down the road. I don't think that I have ever heard of an explosion by doing this, although I did read about a Class B catching on fire while gassing up, due to the fuel fill being too close to the fridge vent. On my setup, my fuel fill is 30' from my fridge vent......a lot further away then some fool walking by me while smoking.