View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
PopBeavers

I don't think I can elp you much.

I ahve a 2 inch receiver on the back of my 2720, but it is factory installed and welded to the frame.

fwiw, it is only rated to carry 100 pounds, so I never use it. Our mountain bikes are 40+ pounds each, so 2 mountain bikes plus the weight of the bike rack would exceed 100 pounds.

Beside that, I have watched how much those bike racks bounce and I would not carry our mountain bikes back there. I want them where I can see them.

My son tried carrying two mountain bikes in a bike rack with a 2 inch bar into a 1.5 inch adapter into the 1.5 inch hitch in his Subaru WRX wagon. It lasted two trips before the metal began to crack in multiple places. I would stick with the 2 inch hitch.

Make sure you cable the bikes in such a way that if the hitch or bike rack fails, and it separates from the trailer, that the cable will cause the bikes to drag on the ground instead of being dropped in the middle of a freeway lane. Either way the bikes are totally destroyed, but at least you won't cause an accident by leaving debris in the lane.