View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #15
Bigbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandysplace View Post
You said installation was 'easy as pie'. We received ours w/ no mounting hardware of any kind. Does 'easy as pie' mean you somehow used the existing mounting hardware from the old ones?
Yes. The cylinders use cup-and-ball mounts with the balls mounted on the bed frame. There are spring clips around the cups on the cylinders, which you just stick a screwdriver underneath just enough to release the cups. The cylinders I ordered use the same size cups and just snap onto the existing balls. Installation took just a few minutes with the biggest part of the job being removing and replacing the mattress.

I can't speak for long term usage and whether the bigger springs will cause problems. I have lifted the bed about a dozen times now without issues.

2/25/11: Edited to add that I have found out that some other Elkmonts use a different gas cylinder than mine does. Check your cylinders for a part #, do a web search, and find replacement cylinders with the same compressed and extended lengths, but an appropriately higher force rating.