View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Default Upgrade ideas for the "new" TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
The real value is in the dies, jigs, and custom tooling used to assemble the coach.
[The TM design] is so due for an update that I question the value. The update I have been thinking of:

Uses an aluminum I-beam frame with fiberglass-foam panels between the frame members and bolted joins rather than welds.
Corners are angles rather than I-beams.
Easy to replace panels and beams.
Roof elements like solar panels bolt to beams, rather than panels.
Wiring is sandwiched between panel edges and beams.
Lift arms pivot at a journal bearing below the shell edge rather than using pockets, and provide better horizontal stability. Similarly the lift arm is supported by a split journal bearing at the end of the torsion rod.
Peak in roof enforced at beam join down roof center rather than being a curve of a foam panel.
Internal aluminum chassis, not box-on-a-trailer.
Lower 1 foot (inside diameter) below floor (fully enclosed) dedicated to infrastructure and storage, floor above that.
External steps set into below-floor area rather than hanging from bottom of trailer. One or two internal steps built in at door.
Shells overlap the below-floor area when closed.
AC, tanks, batteries, heaters, wheel wells, plumbing, spare tire, wiring, gas piping, converter, solar controller, torsion bars, water fills and valves all in below-floor area and fully enclosed except for necessary ports to outside.
Below-floor area is insulated using foam panels and keeps plumbing above freezing for 4-season use.
Actual bottom of the trailer is flat and featureless.
Solar panels are most heavy thing on roof. No AC on roof.
Ledge at bottom of below-floor area for shells to rest upon when closed, protects them from road dirt and provides structural support along the entire area of the lower shell edge.
Probe and drogue latch system for shells with cable release. One lever to release shells.