View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #29
cochise

Default Quality problems

Here is what TM have had to say about the installation of furnace model NT-20S:

The furnace should have two screws into floor. Can be removed vertically with the removal of the top cover, slid sideways with the removal of the side divider, or the sofa front can be removed to slide furnace toward center of trailer.

We have not blamed Suburban for errors in installation. We have however, had the intended installation reviewed and approved by Suburban. Any deviations from the intended installation should be addressed by a dealer and will be paid for under warranty.

Intake air is provided around other gaps as well, including through bath cabinetry and around rear corners and sides of sofa seat. We have not had any issues with furnace performance in other Elkmonts.

Exhaust piping should be centered in the outside wall of the trailer to provide 3/8" gap all around. Dealer should check this issue.

Suburban vehemently denies EVER approving such an installation. As a matter of fact I was told that if anyone at Suburban deviated from written installation procedures or tried to say it was OK they would be FIRED! TM claims that return air is supplied through the gap between the front vertical seat support and the bottom of the seat. However I measured the crack and found only 1/2" clearance and when someone sits on that seat it is further depressed, decreasing the area. And if the furnace is screwed to the floor, how are you going to lift it out for maintenance? They actually laughed out loud at Suburban when they read that.

Fact is TM screwed up but will not admit it. Not until something serious happens and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration gets involved. Someone here on the Forum suggested that I write RVIA and let them know. I did. I am not awaiting their answer.

As it is installed by TM, the furnace will not/cannot perform correctly.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote