View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #26
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Thanks, cochise, I have the manual but haven't had the chance to go through it yet.

As far as I can tell, the single heat output opening right at the furnace side has only a 4" diameter or 12.6 sq in. Only after that does it fork into the two 4" pipes.

So really, the heat output opening is restricted to 12.6 sq in.

And you are saying that opening should be 55 sq in? And Trailmanor has reduced it down to only 23% of what it should be? Sheesh.

I have seen a picture of an Elkmont where the furnace is vented directly into the living area through a much larger rectangular vent at the rear of the furnace. That vent could easily have been 55 sq in. Not sure if that installation had a vent to the bathroom though.

This on my list of things to look at more closely, so thanks for the heads up.
Ok.. The furnace has a 4" opening on either side of the front of the furnace, (which is right behind the long "L" of the couch. There is a dividing luan wall between the furnace and the water tank. To obtain more heat in mine, a dealer in Tucson turned the tank so it is parallel to the outside wall and installed a duct to the front of the trailer, hence to 23-25" opening. The manufacturer stipulates that: "The minimum return air to the furnace must total 55 square inches free area". And that is something that TM has NOT done. My trailer will be worked on tomorrow by a an AUTHORIZED tech, picked by SUBURBAN manufacturer to correct the hazardous installation by TM. They had not even screwed the furnace to the floor nor did they comply with the clearance requirement to combustible material. There is a second 20K BTU model that has a front grille thru which heat is expelled into the trailer. That model number is NT-20SE, but it also has the cabability to heat the bathroom thru a 4" duct. The model you and I have you CANNOT maintain yourself, i.e. clean inside, without removing the whole furnace from the trailer, and good luck with that.
Picture 810 shows before adding the missing air ducts, and 1627 shows after the water tank was turned to allow a duct to the front of the trailer. Still not enough area by far, but helping. Tomorrow it should be corrected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0810.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	935.2 KB
ID:	4443   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1627.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	970.6 KB
ID:	4444  
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote