View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #25
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Suburban in their installation manual, copy of which I have if you are interested, requires a minimum of 55 sq in return air. And since you probably only have two air inlets, one into the bathroom and one on the short leg of your seat by the battery box, they are only 4 in which gives an open area of 25 sq in optimally, in the case of the elkmont with the grille probably only about 23 sq in, there simply is not enough area to expel the heated air into the living area.
Thanks, cochise, I have the manual but haven't had the chance to go through it yet.

As far as I can tell, the single heat output opening right at the furnace side has only a 4" diameter or 12.6 sq in. Only after that does it fork into the two 4" pipes.

So really, the heat output opening is restricted to 12.6 sq in.

And you are saying that opening should be 55 sq in? And Trailmanor has reduced it down to only 23% of what it should be? Sheesh.

I have seen a picture of an Elkmont where the furnace is vented directly into the living area through a much larger rectangular vent at the rear of the furnace. That vent could easily have been 55 sq in. Not sure if that installation had a vent to the bathroom though.

This on my list of things to look at more closely, so thanks for the heads up.