View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #9
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowchad View Post
^^^ That was very helpful, thank you ^^^

I completely get it now and if pulling the tops up & down / open & closed is as easy as all you owners say (I've been reading a lot) then it really isn't a big deal I guess.
Most of us TM owners don't think it's a big deal at all. I bought my TM new, in Aug of 2004, and now I just can't even imagine having full access to a trailer while on the road. I'm afraid it would make me more forgetful than I already am, in the sense that I know I could just pop in the door at any time. I suppose that's an advantage, but I think most TM owners would agree that that advantage doesn't even come close to outweighing the advantage of a fairly large trailer, in a small, very easily towed package.

Admittedly, for myself, the idea of a cross country trip, opening and closing every night for several nights in a row, doesn't appeal to me, but then I think of how much less gas I'd use on that cross country trip, towing a TM vice a full height trailer, and I'm back to loving the TM and realizing the opening & closing really isn't that big of a deal. I never rush. I take my time. While camping, I can get up, have breakfast, clean up, walk the dogs, then start breaking down camp, and I am still on the road about 2 hours after getting out of bed. That's on my own. Those who have help, either via a spouse and/or kids, can do it even quicker. (Well, unless they are more of a hinderance than help.....)

Again, speaking only for the units with two beds, not a slide, I can fully open while still connected to the TV - so cross country trips, with big box store parking lot overnights, is completely doable. Not that I've done it yet, but it is. Actually, that's not true, years ago, probably 2006, 2007, I opened up in a large truck rest area, between big rigs. It wasn't the most restful sleep I've ever had, but it was nice to be able to open up without unhooking. I know you can do that with a normal TT, but since so many people get slideouts, I have to wonder how difficult it is to move around in there without opening those....

All that being said, in my TV I always have everything I need for the dogs (leashes, treats, food, water, bowls, brushes, etc) "just in case". I also have a small bag for me with a few small toiletries and a change of clothes, phone charger, etc., again, "just in case". And finally, a small (like 6-pack size) cooler with a couple of drinks and a sandwich or two.