View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
arjackson

Unhappy Dinette and TM customer service

Hi, we had been thinking of upgrading to a new Rise (more on that below), but have decided to make our 2002 2720SD stretch for a little longer. But I sleep on the dinette bed with the dogs (my hubby gets the QB to himself) and we had an issue with our original tabletop falling apart last year. It was delaminating, and the wood was just flaking away. So my husband spent a lot of time on the phone with Trailmanor in Dec, trying to order a new tabletop (I believe the chaos was during the relocation of the factory?), which finally arrived late January.

Well, the replacement is not the right size--it's wider, so it doesn't sit on the proper ledges, but on the edges of the plywood seating instead. It didn't look like it was that big of a deal, but then I tried sleeping on it. Because it's raised in the middle, no matter what position I slept in, my hips were the highest point on my body. I have a bad back anyway, and I could hardly walk the next day. In addition to not fitting properly, when we try to raise and lower the table, the screws pull right out of the wood. The wood seems really soft (I'm assuming to keep weight down) and they just don't hold.

I wanted to call Trailmanor with the problems, but it turns out my husband was really put off by how nobody seemed to know what they were talking about when he called and traded emails with them. So much so, that he didn't even want to buy a Rise as we'd planned, because he feels like those units are so new and we may not have enough support if there are bugs! We'd like to take our trailer out this Fall, however, and I just can't sleep on the dinette bed as it is (not to mention being afraid to even breathe on the table, lest it collapse).

Our options seem to be:

--I can take the cushions off the dinette and sleep on them on the floor (which is not ideal if we need to use the heater, unless I want to roast)

--I can find a folding cot or the like and use that instead (I've already tried one and it didn't work)

--We have a carpenter friend who we could pay to make us a new one, based on the old one that we saved (but we've already paid like $200 for the one from TM)

--We could give TM factory another try, and see if they've sorted out their problems

Any other suggestions? I'm actually so frustrated that I've been looking at motorhomes (gasp!)