View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Carol & Lou cornell

Thanks for starting this new space for Elkmont owners. Hubby and I traded in our 2008 3124 for the Elkmont at the Florida RV show in January and took it out for a shakedown trip week before last to Orlando, about a 2 hour trip from our home in St Petersburg FL. While we loved the 3124KB, we travel with our 2 dogs and there were times when we wanted to make stops along the way and one of us always had to stay in the car with the dogs. Being first time campers, we really liked the many features and light weight of the 3124 (we pull with a 2008 Toyota highlander), so when I saw a picture of the Elkmont, it seemed like it might suit our particular situation better. Hubby was a little concerned about how much shaking the new camper would do on the interstate when trucks go by. I'm happy to report that while he feels there is a little more wind resistance, we didn't notice much sway from trucks going by, and gas milage was similar. We have the model with the walk around queen bed, and it is a perfect size for 2 people and a couple of dogs. Our 3124 had 2 sofas, which was nice for watching TV, but we didn't mind one of us watching on the bed and the other one on the sofa of the new camper. The biggest pluses for us was the full size refrigerator, the larger bathroom with a bunch of storage and we liked the toilet with the holding tank (I understand you can also get the recirculating toilet if you want one) and being able to put the dogs in the camper when we make a stop. Since we're not much into boondocking, this suits us well. It was also a little easier getting ready to decamp since we didn't have to take anything off the walls. We also like the fine quality cabinets and walls that are a trademark of the Trailmanor product, which we love.
One thing that amused us was that we were no longer the object of curiosity/interest in the campground, the way we were with the 3124. I guess we looked like any other lighweight travel trailer from the outside.
On our recent trip, we got a chance to try out the camper in heavy rains (from noon one day to noon the next). No problems except for some condensation on the inside of the windows. Also had a cold front come in and temps dropped to the 30s so we had a chance to try out the gas furnace, which worked great and we stayed nice and warm. We've been told also that the AC unit in the ceiling is a little quieter than in our old unit, but it hasn't been warm enough yet to try it out.
So all in all we are very happy with out new camper and will be happy to answer any and all questions!

Carol and Lou Cornell