Thread: 2720 questions
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #19
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
I've been looking at possible hitches, one that I could use to get a possible TM home, and use for utility trailers as well.
For these two purposes, I have two hitches, a WDH for the TM, and a lightweight hitch for utility work. That way I get to set the height for the two independently. The utility trailer hitch is also a lot lighter, making it easier to carry around and mount/dismount on the truck.

[EDIT - apologies, I misunderstood what you meant. Yes, a simple bar hitch could be used to tow the TM carefully, provided that both it and the ball are rated for the TM weight. I think a common weight rating on those things is 5000 pounds, which should be OK.]

Quote:
My receiver sits at about 14" from the ground, whereas the TM tongue should ride at 19". Ideally, it should be level. How far from level can I be?
Not that far. You will drag the hitch on every bump and swale.

I think that this hitch bar can be inserted upside down to give you lift instead of drop.

Quote:
Then there's Reese for much less, but won't give me the lift:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...nt/A-p8210122e
I would vote no. You can get the same simple hitch, without the hex indent, for much less money at WalMart. And without the hex indent, you can turn it over to get the height you need.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote