View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

In a 12-volt DC vehicular system, which includes the TM, the standard color code is
Black = positive
White = negative
Therefore the battery positive post is connected to black, and the negative post is connected to white.

In addition, in almost every* 12-volt DC system, negative is ground, and ground means the trailer frame. I think this is what Larry means by "true ground". This connection is often made with a bare (uninsulated) wire. In my TM, and I'm sure in all TMs as they come from the factory, the negative battery post is connected to two wires - a white wire which runs to the power distribution panel in the converter, and a bare wire which runs to a nearby screw driven into the trailer frame.

There are three changes that are commonly made to the TM battery connection, always at the positive post.
1. The OEM fuse holder may have been (and should be) replaced with an automotive flat fuseholder, and one or both of the wires on this holder can be red. Don't let this confuse you - just treat it as black. Picture at
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...&pictureid=760
2. The owner may have added an optional electric tongue jack. The wire that powers the jack runs directly to the positive battery post. It is probably black, but certainly not white.
3. A solar panel system will bring a wire directly to the positive battery post. The color of this wire is red or black, but not white or green (negative or ground).

*The exception is some antique motor cars, especially British cars, which have a positive ground system. No American car since (my guess) the 50's has had a positive ground system.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote