Thread: Blowout issues
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I think the real idea is to increase the tire load rating with the 15" tires. I don't think the axle has an issue with the weight. The axle rating; you only measure the weight carried by the rubber torsion springs. You would reduce the tongue weight, tires, brake assembly, and spindle weight. I would think that on must TM's, that is a reduction 450 to 700 lbs from the actual weight of the trailer.

But one thing I did notice when we changed TM's; from one with a 3.5k axle to one with a 5.2K axle. The 5.2K axle had huge bearing in comparison to the 3.5K axle. The outer bearing which is the smaller bearing of the set. On the 5.2K axle the bearing larger than the inter bearing on the 3.5k axle. The inter bearing on the 5.2k axle is just so much bigger than the 3.5K axle's bearing. In looking at the spec of the 5.2K axle it has the same bearing set as the 6.0K axle the only difference is the brake set.

If I was think of changing my axle and doing the lift kit for height. I would only do the axle and order an axle with a different angle of the swing arm. I think you could achieve the desired lift with a different swing arm angle.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote