View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 08:20 AM   #1
jbeletti
Jim

Default Bathroom Sink Leak - Drain pipe came loose

Hi folks,

Just a few words of caution to new TM owners. Two weekends ago, our 3rd trip out with our 2004 model 3023, we were relaxing by the campfire at the back of the trailer when we noticed water dripping from the bathroom-side rear corner of the trailer box. The floor of the outside rear storage compartment was wet too. Nancy checked the bathroom and there was water in the cabinet under the sink.

What had happened is that the vertical drain pipe that is attached to the sink drain, came out of the connection to the horizontal pipe that goes under the kitchen sink area.

Upon close inspection, it appears that the horizontal pipe was cut too short and maybe too low. I had to put quite a bit of force on both the vertical and horizontal pipes in order to get the vertical pipe inside the elbow at the end of the horizontal pipe. Then I had to hold it together while trying my best to hand-tighten the plastic nut on the vertical pipe to the threaded elbow.

The water that leaked was from using the bathroom sink to wash-up and brush teeth etc. Guess we didn't hear it running onto the cabinet shelf at the time.

It has held together for yet another weekend outing, including another 1,200 miles of bouncing around. Still, there's a lot of tension on that connection so I check it daily.

I reported this to my dealer and will have it checked/re-worked next time I make it up to his area. My guess is that they will have to cut out the horizontal pipe and add in a longer section. Being short on 2 axis is bad, but if the horizontal section is lengthened such that the elbow center is aligned with the sink drain pipe, forcing it up an inch should work fine and allow water to gravity flow into the rest of the plumbing under the kitchen sink.

Long story short, if you have a 2004 TM made in November/December, you may want to check on the bathroom sink drain pipe every now and then. I know that they busted butt to get all their 2004 orders out the door before Christmas and in the rush, maybe I got a short pipe and maybe you did too.

Jim
jbeletti is offline   Reply With Quote