View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #49
Carol & Lou cornell

I posted a response in the new thread for Elkmonts, but wanted to respond to some of the questions above. First, we noticed very little wind sway from big trucks while we were travelling on the Interstate (I-4). We went about 200 miles round trip, most of it on highways. We use a weight distribution hitch and that may help. We noticed that mileage was pretty much the same or a smidge better. The Elkmont's dry weight is about 500 lbs lighter than our 3124.
We felt like we had more "walking around" space inside. We took out the dinette table, covered the holes in the floor that the table legs screw in to with a little throw rug, and that worked great. We used folding TV trays when we needed a table inside. By the way, we rarely used the installed table in our 3124KB because it filled the aisle. We used the TV trays there too.
The Elkmont has a digital TV mounted on the wall by the door and it is on a swivel mount, so you can watch it from the bed or the sofa. We were both able to watch even though one of us watched from the bed and the other from the sofa.
We love the full size refrigerator, and the stove has a separate oven below it and a seperate mocrowave and range hood above. There's enough storge space in the bathroom to store towels. There is less outside storage (there's one compartment in the front behind where the propane tanks are located), but the bed matress raises on haudraulics and there's storage underneath. The matress is about 6" high, so it's thicker than the matresses in the 3124, but not a lot. We have added a padded matress cover and that helps.
There is a full-sized screen door. The dogs loved that - they could watch out the door and comment on passersby.
I guess the biggest difference was when it came time to leave. We moved things that might fall over to the floor or bed, dumped the tanks, put the hoses away, hitched up and left. The fridge automatically switches from electric to gas when you unplug from the power, so we just had to make sure the gas was on. While we never much minded the chores of closing the 3124, (unlike the people in Denver, we don't consider ourselves too old to open and close the 3124) I have to admit this was faster. I don't think we would have traded in the 3124 for any other brand/model than the Elkmont. We're happy we had this opportunity.