View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 07:24 AM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Packing list/ what to buy?

The above suggestions are fine for commercial RV Parks but for boondock (dry) camping the list is a bit different. Here are my indispensibles:
  • Two 5-gallon collapsible fresh water totes...the closest potable water is sometimes a quarter mile or more from the campsite. In some cases I've had to haul water 5 miles...even when camping in a developed campground.
  • Two sets of 10 lego style leveling blocks. I use these under the tires, the leveling jacks and sometimes even the tongue jack. Boondock campsites are often very unlevel and the ground is sometimes pretty soft.
  • Chocks for the trailer tires. Several times I've camped in sites that had a 10% front/rear grade. No way to even unhook the trailer from the tow vehicle until the trailer tires were chocked to prevent it from rolling.
  • Blue totes for longer stays (over about 3 days). I have a 20 gallon model on wheels for campgrounds that have a dump within a quarter mile or so of the campsite, and two 5-gallon totes that I can put in the bed of my truck when I have to haul the sewer water a couple of miles or more to the nearest dump station.
  • A portable "power tank" type gel-cell 12V battery. Very useful around the campsite for stuff like running an aircompressor, can be used to jump start the tow vehicle engine if the TV battery somehow gets drained, and good for other stuff like recharging my laptop and cellphone when I don't want to tap into the trailer's 12V system.
  • Portable gas grill...open fires (even including charcoal fires) are often banned where I camp. If I want grilled food cooked outside, the only reliable method is on my Olympian gas grill. I always also insure I've got an extra cannister of propane.
  • Travsak sleep system...I used a Wally World sleeping bag the first two years but I'm now sold on the comfort and versatility of a Travsak. Has proven warm enough for even the coldest summer nights I've encountered so far...even the July evening that dropped below freezing.

Life is different when you go "off the grid" and camp in a real campground. What the heck are these "hookups" everyone keeps talking about? ??? ;D
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote