View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Stone859

Guys, just an update on my roof project.

I got to looking closely at my roof, and I ended up redoing all the seems and joints. This is pretty much what I did:

1) Removed all the old calk. I found using an X-acto with a chisel blade worked really well along with a set of picks (the ones with the orange handles that I purchased from Harbor Freight for $1.00). It was pretty easy to remove the old stuff. It seems like the factory used a combination of Silicon and Polyurethane for calking the seams of the plastic trim and I couldn't determine the rym-or-reason for doing so. Also, on my trailer they used two different types of trim. One has a grey adhesive almost completely across the back surface, and other has two small strips of adhesive on each side with a hollow cove between the adhesive strips. This trim with the cove is what the factory sent me to replace my old stuff and works much better over any seam and what I feel they should have used every where. It spans the seam over-lap and sticks to both surfaces instead of just the on that is the highest.

2) I cleaned all the seams, and this took some time. I used acetone, but you have to be careful because it will damage the paint...but it does gets it clean.

3) The seam on the front flap that was causing the leak in the first place is only on the drives side! I don't get this, and I see no reason for building the trailer this way. Anyway, I cleaned between the two surfaces and used 3M 5200 (one tube) between the surface with five sand bags holding it down for the several days while it was curing. I doubt if it will ever come up again!

4) Over this seam I used the cove trim, and did both sides on the front, just because it looks better.

5) I re-calked all the seams of the trailer with 3M 4200 (two tubes).

6) Now this is where I went the extra mile. After looking at all these seams I decided to try Eternabond. If you have never seen this stuff, let alone never used it, I'm here to tell you it's some serious stuff! I used two 50' roles that where 4" wide, and I put it over all all the joints, seams and around all the vents. It's not difficult to use this stuff, but if you accidently don't get it lined up correctly and set it down, it can be super difficult to remove (don't ask me how I know this). I also went deep and purchased the Eternabond cleaner and Primer. The cleaner is also very serious cleaner that I would recommend and the primer is probably over-kill when installing it on a clean warm surface...its really a very light contact cement. Before I used it I was afraid of how the Etrenabond would look once in place but I really don't think it looks too bad at all, and I know for a fact that it looks better then opening your closet door and finding water in it.

All this work probably took between 20-30 hours to do and is not difficult, but is tedious. The basic construction of the trailer is super solid, and you get a feel for this crawling around on the roof and looking at the thing with a magnifying glass. However, the Achilles Heal on this and any trailer is where the joints and seams are. However, I think I've been able to solve the problem (knock-on-wood)...time will tell.

Let me know if you have any question, and let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1225.JPG
Views:	678
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	8496   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1228.JPG
Views:	679
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	8497   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1216.JPG
Views:	633