View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #17
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
We've put many miles in our 2009 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab with the 6500# tow package and our Elkmont 24. It has served us well.

The Tacoma tows the trailer weight well, but it is only a V6 gasser with relatively low torque at highway speeds and rpms. As a result, on the flats or slightly rolling highways, you will get shifting from 5th to 4th or to an intermediate unlocked Torque Converter state. All this is normal. The engine and transmission handle it well. But over long trips, depending upon the terrain, you may find this frequent shifting a bit tiring.

We recently decided to upgrade to full-size pickup primarily because of the GVWR problem.
I don't know about the Tacoma, but my old Silverado had the "tow button" at the end of the shift lever. When that was activated the shift points changed and the overdrive was locked out. So I did not have a lot of unnecessary shifting. And I do believe the wheel base is the same as the Tacoma (118”). When I bought my Lance trailer we were too close to the tow limit, which is why I got the Ford F 150 with the V8, tow package and a tow limit of 9500 lb. It has the same transmission tow button on the end of the lever. It works really well for us, except the Lance is a piece of crap. The Elkmont had a 5” thick floor this one has 2”. And there are lots more, I miss the simplicity of the Elkmont but not the problems I had with it.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote