View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbit View Post
My Enclave has about the same wheelbase as your Tacoma (maybe a little wider) and I have had no major issues with sway. I do use a WDH and sway bars. My Buick also has a 4500lb tow limit, and it pulls the Elkmont fine as long as I follow some self imposed rules, which I have posted previously on this forum. You will know you're towing the Elkmont, but I never feel out of control.

One comment I will make is that speed is important. The faster you go, the more load you put on your engine, tranny, and brakes. I religiously keep my highway speeds to 60 or less and let the rest of the world pass me by!

Your Tacoma should be fine.
I fully second this rule. Being in Arizona I travel quite a bit in California, and there the speed limit is 55 mph for trailers. So I keep my general speed at 55 to 60 mph, and that is just fine. And I stay home or at the camp ground if the weather is excessively windy.

On another note to ease your mind: When I purchased my Elkmont, we were told that the trailer weighed under 2500 lb. Not true but in any event we went to Texas and towed the Elkmont all the way back to Arizona, about 1000 miles with a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. Now that was a task, but we did it. Today I tow a different brand with a 2007 Ford F 150 XLT V8 Triton with a full tow package. Had TM gotten Mr. Eichhoff at the wheel a little earlier I would still have been towing my Elkmont 24. He is the best thing that has happened to TM in years.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote