View Single Post
Old 10-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #14
mmayville

Default First time out with the TM

I just picked up my TM 2720 SL last weekend. On the way home we stopped for the night. Still hooked up to the truck. So site was pretty level and put down the stabilizer jacks. Raised the front, raised the rear, slid out the sofa, slid out the bed, set up the counter cabinet, put up the sink cabinet, setup the bathroom and latched the door. All went well the first night out. On Sunday, we are heading home, stopped in a service area and had to do a turn around. Wife driving turned a little too hard and a big crack comes from the towing area of the trailer. STOP!! Get out and look everything is still hooked up, EBA cable looks like it is where it belongs and on the road again. Stop in a service area about 115 miles from home and everything still rolling great. Get home and park by the house and the wife is YELLING Get out of the truck and come back here!!!!! So jump out of the truck, run around the passenger side of the TM and there is smoke billowing out of the wheel well, wheel bearing grease slung all over the wheel and the bearing cap is missing!! Get the water hose fast!!! Pull the hose over the yard fence, have the wife pull off the little master locks holding down the front and back lock down latches on the corners, release the lower latches that hold the top and bottom to the spring arms, raise the front, raise the back, pull the skirt off the wheel well the whole time spraying water on the brakes drum and the wheels... Finally smoke gone inside of the TM is safe, and take a breath!!!
Look around the TM and find the EBA cable pulled out and the lock key is not on the end of the cable. Where is it??? Somewhere between our last stop and home.... Now that is a Fire Drill!!! It is Sunday my birthday, the wife's birthday was the day before and my wife turns around and say's Happy Birthday Honey! Sheeze... So call an RV repair shop Monday to find out how the key would have come out of the EBA all by itself still hooked to the tow vehicle... Short answer long, the cable that pulls the key is too short to reach the tow vehicle with enough slack not to pull out during a turn. Now all of the bearings, brakes and axle stuff being looked at and waiting on a price to repair. Lower hatch latches being replaced to pull the two halves down tighter to close the seal on the front half.

This is my first experience with a TM. But the inside is fabulous!!!

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4.0L
Many changes since I purchased it!
mmayville is offline   Reply With Quote