View Single Post
Old 04-16-2004, 10:58 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Pros/Cons to running refrigerator all the time?

[quote author=TWMetzger link=board=22;threadid=1836;start=msg13042#msg1304 2 date=1081998298]If I leave my TM connected to shore power in my driveway, but I check my battery water level once/twice a week, am I likely to avoid the problem of overcharging and drying out the battery? I probably will use some DC appliances from time to time but not that often.[/quote]

Your question is a good one, and there is surprisingly little information out there. I put the query to another forum where I am active, and one expert whom I trust gave me kind of a mumbled answer. The answer was basically "Not good. Overcharge causes bubbling and outgassing, and the gas is basically water which has been dissociated into hydrogen and oxygen. If there is any possibility of the hydrogen building up (which is really pretty hard to do), then you have a potentially explosive situation. Beyond that, you have the possibility of forgetting to check the water levels. As soon as the plates are exposed to air, damage happens rather quickly. Beyond that, if the overcharge rate is severe, heat may build up, which will warp the plates and ruin the battery." And then some non-specific mumbling about shedding the active material off the plates - I couldn't find anything more specific on that.

One other thign to consider is that if you are going to be continually adding water, it must be distilled water every time, or the minerals in the water will build up in the battery, and that WILL kill it.

So overall, I gather that continual gentle overcharging is not a catastrophe if you watch the water, but is not recommended, either. But really, a good 3-stage charger costs about half as much as a new battery. Why take the chance?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote