Thread: trailmanor load
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #24
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Exclamation Don't forget - my "2619" was built like a 3023.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
I did a search for loading a trailmanor, and the best thread I came across so far was this one:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...hlight=loading

Rick accounts for 1400 lbs extra due to fresh water, battery, AC, food, clothing, etc. I can lift an AC quite easily, so it's certainly less than 100 lbs. a batter may be close to 100 lbs, the fresh water in a 20 gal tank will add 160 lbs. These items will give you a total of 360 lbs tops, unless you're wiring several batteries in parallel to give you longer dry camps.
The limiting factors, in 2619 and 2720 models from older years, were the 3500 lb axle and the Load Grade "C" tires.

With a 5000 lb axle, I don't worry about the 3500 lb limitation. You forgot to add in the propane tank weights. I've got a 40 gallon water tank (insted of 20), and also carry a few separate gallons of filtered water for cooking and drinking (those jugs are done via R/O first, then marble chips to taste better). I've also got about 60 lbs of rooftop solar, a bigger fridge (kept pretty full), a ton of genuine ceramic dishes for throwing big parties, and several add-in appliances (a big HEPA air cleaner, etc). And DW is a clothes horse. At my very heaviest loading, for a multi-week trip, we did approach 4100 lbs - GWV, including tongue weight on the scale. But I usually travel quite a bit lighter than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
1) Lift kit (anyone make this yourselves? I image shipping of 2 tubular steel bars would be quite expensive)

2) 15" rims. Do I need 15x5.5; 5 lugs on 5.5?

3) D rated tires. I noticed that 225/75-R15 Endurance had MUCH higher rating than the 205/75-R15. Would the 225 fit?
1. The lift kit isn't very large, and the two pieces weigh a lot less than a set of new "stabilizer jacks". I never needed a lift kit, because my 5000 lb axle provided the extra height all by itself. But I'd order from the factory - the shipping cost probably isn't prohibitive.

2. I don't know the 3500 lb axle requirements - but search is your friend. When ordering rims, be sure to pay attention to the "offset".

3. Although I have the big axle, my wheel wells were built standard. I upgraded both the wheel width (5.5 to 6.0) and the tire width (225's). It' a bit tight, but they've never bottomed out, or hit the front/back lips or sides of the wheel wells during rough travel. I have: "MAXXIS TIRES - M8008 ST RADIAL TRAILER TIRE 225/75R15 10 Ply", on "ULTRA TYPE 062 TRAILER MACHINED RIM with CLEAR COAT 15x6".

When upgraded, your limiting factor will be the axle (not the TM frame, nor the tires). Right now, your limiting factor is the tires - and that's why the Load Class "C" 14 inch tires blow out so often: they're running too "close to the edge" of their limitations.