View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 05:34 AM   #20
fishnbum

I have a '00 2619, purchased new. The TM is a pretty good trailer, I have enjoyed mine and pretty much lived in it the last 4 summers. With that said......

The TM does not seem to be a very good "off-road" machine.

My biggest complaint is dust. Just a few miles down a dry dusty road and I get to spend an hour cleaning. From the door on back, everything, and I mean everything, will have a healthy coat of dust (top of the stove very brown, not black). The front portion is not too bad, but still..
I will be forever greatful if anyone has a fix for this problem.

Next, are the latches at the back of the trailer. Even if I put something in lock hole to keep them from popping open, they still come loose so the back of the trailer is not secured. (This definitely can't be helping out my dust problem) I can only guess a hard bounce is jaring the latches loose.

Road bounce has apparently caused the back bed to bounce hard enough to break thru the cheap plastic guide the support rods slide along. So I have a piece of colored rope tied to one of the rods to remind me to check and put the rod piece back into the plastic guide before pulling out the bed.

And a piece of duct tape over the plastic knob for holding the top portion of door closed KEEPS the door closed. Otherwise knob turns and the door flys open.

Last, but not least, tire wear. My guess is the tires are toed-in, they smooth out on the outside of the tire. Problem started with the driver side and progressed to the street side. I replaced one tire with the spare, then rotated the tires a couple of times. Finally had the tires dismounted and flipped so the brand-new looking insides were on the outside. With a bit over 20K miles, the trailer is not going anywhere without new tires. The dealer said to balance the tires. They have been balanced since my 3rd or 4th trip when he told me to balance the tires as the answer to why my oven started to fall out (loose screws) and the oven door to fall off and the oven door handle to fall off. The dealer pointed me to a place that supposedly can align a straight axle. I have my doubts, but for 50 bucks guess it won't hurt.

Advice to any who purchase a new TM. Get the wrenches and screwdrivers to fit every nut/bolt screw on the TM. And some spare pieces of hardware. You WILL use the tools and need the spares during your 1st 10 outings.

Happy TMing