View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 11:40 PM   #13
PopBeavers

Default One persons disadvantage is anothers advantage

I don't have my 2720 (yet). Only one week into the order wait time so far. I have been reading about the various complaints etc. and found it interesting that someone else’s complaint didn't matter to me. It seems like this conversation might (unfortunately) scare some prospective buyers away.

Major topics seem to be:

1. necessity of climbing over each other in the bed
2. crowded with 4 adults
3. condensation
4. ability of spouse to open/close solo
5. toilet
6. low cabinets
7. making the bed when you can't walk around it

Here is my perspective, plus a few other tidbits of opinions after that.

1. necessity of climbing over each other in the bed

I take the back side. By the time I need to get up to use the restroom in the morning my back is sore enough that I won't be going back to bed anyway. This is a non-issue for us.

2. crowded with 4 adults

Our two primary uses will be attending mountain bike races and weekend getaways. Our kids are 21 and 24, but still only kids. At the bike races our son’s friends frequently hang out with us because we have free food and drinks. Good way to get to meet your kid’s friends for a nominal cost. There is no trailer around that will accommodate a dozen adults. So we hang out around a camp fire anyway. As the saying goes "It never rains in California". Weekend getaways will be just the two of us. Someday we may end up with grand kids. It will likely be another 15 years before the oldest is 10.

3. condensation

This is California. We don't have high humidity. No issue for us. I've been to Chicago, Milwaukee, NYC, DC, Houston and New Orleans. The humidity is intolerable and I can’t imagine why anyone goes there. Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Idaho, Aspen, Yellowstone are all WONDERFUL places. I avoid anyplace where the humidity exceeds the temperature.

4. ability of spouse to open/close solo

My wife was skeptical. At the RV show they had a model set up to demonstrate opening and closing the TM. My wife was able to open it and close it by herself with one hand. But, she did have to use her right hand. She has bad knees and can't do much for exercise so she certainly is not above average for strength. I think she is around 5 foot 7. Being the nicest guy that I know I won't disclose her age, but we first met as class mates in 7th grade. I'm 51 for a few more months.

5. toilet

Like I said, my wife has bad knees. She will be welcome to use the toilet any time she wants. I see no reason for her to climb down the steps if she is already inside. Anyone sleeping inside is welcome in the middle of the night. Anyone causing unnecessary strain on the holding tank is welcome to help me drain it or they will be unwelcome in the future. This philosophy has worked in the past when we borrowed my in-laws motor home. Most guests are accommodating once they understand the issues.

6. low cabinets

Oh well, this one will be an issue. I can't win them all.

7. making the bed when you can't walk around it

We use sleeping bags. I plan on investigating the Travasak. It seems to be rather popular.

Now for a few other tidbits:

At some of the mountain bike races it can get muddy. The in-laws motor home had carpets and my mother in-law was rather picky about dirty carpets. She had little throw rugs everywhere. We ordered our TM with full vinyl flooring. I plan on getting some remnant carpet and having it cut to size and the edges finished off. Possibly in more than one section for ease of removal. Then I can take the carpet in and out at will. I'm sure it is warmer with the carpet but easier to sweep with vinyl flooring. Ask me again in another year if this worked out well.

I became curious about putting a larger axle and bigger 15 inch wheels on the 2720. I called the factory today. According to Mike, he has only seen two 2720's built with the larger axle/wheel. It can be done but requires building the trailer outside of the normal assembly line. I understood that to mean longer wait time and higher cost. I abandoned that plan. I'll add the lift kit later if I need it. Mike assured me that the axle will tolerate anything we want to fill the trailer up with as long as the rock collection stays home. That was good enough for me.

I also asked Mike about the feasibility of me removing the roof a/c if I needed more head room getting in and out of the garage. It occurred to me that this might allow me to add the lift kit and still get into the garage if it is too tall. Mike explained that it was only four bolts and a few wires, However, unlike some other unnamed trailer manufacturers, the TM a/c has silicone sealant that would not be advisable to mess with repeatedly. But at least I know not to try that unnecessarily. Mike was pretty nice to talk with.

Mike also was confident that with a Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab as a TV that I would have no need for sway bars or WD hitch. I’ll start out that way and see how it works out. The trip from the dealer to the house will be 120 miles.

I’m so excited that I went to Camping World twice in one week to look around. Friends at the office were amazed that I had enough willpower to NOT buy anything.