View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Bluegrass

Default Utah Grand Circle

Since the Zion Park thread is starting to wander to new locations, I thought I'd start a new thread to make things easier to find.

While Zion and Bryce Canyon national parks get lots of press, the southeastern side of the state also has treasures. While Arches National Park is well known, some other sites are not as well known and therefore less crowded.

There was a nice list of places between Moab and Mexican Hat in today's newspaper, if you have the opportunity to drive this route along the Colorado border.

I've often suggested what is called the "Grand Circle Tour" for friends who want to see the red rock country of Utah. Start with Zion NP, go out the east entrance to Bryce Canyon, then stay on Utah 12 through Escalante & Boulder to Torrey. This drive is worth the visit just by itself. East on 24 a few miles to Capitol Reef NP, then 24 to Green River and over to Moab for Arches, Canyonlands NPs and Dead Horse Point. That's where the above mentioned article picks up. Take U.S. 191 south through all the places it mentions then swing back west to Page for Antelope Canyons and back to St. George via Pipe Springs National Monument and Hildale/Colorado City, home to the polygamist groups. Good pies at the Many Wives cafe.

You could do this in 10 days or a month. Take your pick.

Keith (A California transplant who loves living in Utah)