Thread: factory tune-up
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #33
TravlinOn

We went to Jacksboro in May for a tune-up and to fix some leveling problems on our TM. Like most everyone else, I agree that the TM people are very friendly and easy to work with.

I'm not totally happy with the work although I do credit the fact that often a repair on a complex mechanical devise can unexpectedly lead to causing or revealing a need to do another repair. That's probably what happened in our case - the repairs that were done resulted in the trailer becoming more difficult to close along with some other problems that will necessitate a return to the factory. On the other hand, the repair work that was done did correct a leveling and door-closure problem.

One gripe that I have is that in replacing a top latch and its catch, it looks like some type of industrial caulk gun was used with the result that there was a mound of caulk that didn't quite get around all bolt heads/nuts in a confined area. As a result, I had one major leak and one minor leak as soon as I hit some rain on the way home. I had to remove the caulk gobs and do a better job with the trusty 3M product that most(?) TMers here use.

Other comments:

-- I had no problem using my GPS to find the TM factory - I use a #TomTom. But be sure to type in the correct address which is on McGhee Lane in Jacksboro not McGee Lane. Also, don't give up! The factory is at the end of the street and is completely hidden from view until you turn into its drive. I saw no signage at all from the road, but it really is there!

-- Cove Lake State Park is close both to the Interstate and to the factory. Make reservations! Mid-week might be more available than weekends because locals go fishing there. The campsites that are close to the water are almost impossible to get into if you have one of the longer TM's. Some of the other sites look like "ice cream scoops" with pop-tops perched like cherries on top. Fortunately, the park staff are easy to work with and help in relocating to more accessible sites.