View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #7
shebantam

If you are talking about cleaning out the fresh water tank as far as water being safe, use about 1/4 cup of bleach and partially fill the fresh water tank, it you are going to fill it all the way up to totally sanitize it, maybe a little more bleach.

This is to be done in the spring. This below not only flushed the anti freeze, if you chose to bypass the water heater and use RV Antifreeze, but also sanitized the complete system including the fresh water tank.

I use a funnely thing that has a bendable section I got at Pepboys and a regular funnel put into the top of that. pour in the bleach than then add the water to the tank.
Using the demand pump, pump the bleach water through all the lines, opening valves one at a time until all the pink is gone and you can smell the bleach.

This will fill your water heater if you do not have a bypass valve on the water heater. because of the drains, most TM owners do not put this valve on.
This means once the system is sanitized be sure to take the anode rod out of the water heater, drain and flush the water heater until you no longer smell bleach. I use city water for this part.
I have also on other trailers, opened the drain to the fresh water tank and flushed that with city water. Made the mistake of NOT doing that on my Cabin A this spring, and when I went to put on a valve on the pump to pump antifreeze through, I had to change the hose and had bleach water all inside the Cabin A. When I leaned on the tank to re-attach a new longer hose, squirted bleach water out again... I am allergic to bleach...good going Paula.

be sure to drain the water heater after each trip unless you are going back to back...I had a new water pump put on a trailer a few years back, they filled the water heater but did not drain it and did not tell me. About 2 months later, after sitting in the summer sun, I went to Acadia...took a shower, that was in early August, by the end of Sept, I was in the hospital with an outer ear infection that eating away at my mastoid bone...damaged my vegas nerve, and almost went into meningitis. Also on infused antibiotics for 5 weeks and had C-Diff twice because of the antibiotics... So now I am super careful to drain the water heater each trip and to make sure the system is total sanitized. hard way to learn a lesson...
2006 Aliner Cabin A3
1999 Sunnybrook 26FK with WDH with sway
all pulled by a 1999 F150
shebantam is offline   Reply With Quote