View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
davlin
TrailManor Master

Tough question Cgermany,

A diesel engine with 428 ft lbs of torque would normally be associated with much higher towing capacities. Without really being able to research Audi's specs in detail for the 2014 Q5, I can only guess that the limiting variable is the transmission. The shorter wheel base is also an issue, but this can usually be mitigated with a weight distributing hitch (WDH). I always caution new trailer owners to err on the side of "heavy" when it comes to figuring out the weight the trailer will actually be when towing. Let's start with the manufacturer's claim for empty weight. That's a trailer that's really, really empty. It will probably never weigh that again. There's no propane in the tanks, no water anywhere in the trailer. No bed sheets, silverware, etc., etc. And even with only two people using the camper, would there ever be a situation where you would have to tow it "wet," meaning water in the fresh and gray water tanks? Liquids are very heavy. So my erring on "heavy" would put the 2417 at around 32-3400 lbs, and the 2619 would be pushing 3800 to 4000 lbs. The 2417 should be doable for your Q5; the 2619 probably doesn't leave you much margin. I would never get that close to the towing capacity on a gasoline engine, but a diesel with over 400 ft lbs of torque is another matter. If I were you, I would try to find out more from Audi on how they feel about towing with the transmission, since that might be the real limiting factor. Does the Q5 come with a "tow package" option? Does that option include a beefed up transmission cooler? Whatever you use for your tow vehicle (TV) it must be equipped with a brake controller. Hope any of this helps.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote