View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Cgermany

Exclamation Towing (another question :)

Hi, I've looked through threads for the past few days and have become more and more skeptical about the towing capacity of ANY vehicle based on my reading. I'm about to order a 2014 Audi Q5 and would like some input from people that have experience with pop-up campers. I'm not really interested in the tent type (looking at Trailmanor only).

Generally, it will just be me and my 6 year old and our bicycles, but concerts and festivals will also be likely destinations with the camper. I'm trying to determine what I can safely tow based on the specs below and people experience. The 3.0 TDI is the same engine and almost identical accompanying transmission used in the large Audi Q7 (and Toureg is maybe). The shorter wheelbase accounts for the drop in towing capacity from 6,600 lbs, and in Europe the vehicle is rated for 5,000 and change.

3.0-liter TDI® direct-injection clean diesel engine w/ 240 hp

Torque is 428 @1750-2250
(580 Nm)

Eight-speed tiptronic® automatic transmission w/ sport program & manual shift mode

quattro® permanent all-wheel drive system w/ asymmetric/dynamic torque distribution (torque split 40:60)

Trailer hitch provision in the electrical cable tree; towing capacity of 4,400lbs. (w/440 pound tongue-weight)

Wheelbase: 110.5 (2807 mm)
Length: 182.6 (4639 mm)
Curb Weight: 4475 (2030 kg)

Diesel

Based on these figures and a much lighter payload than a family of 4 would require, could you ladies and gents please comment on which of these is the largest you would consider for this vehicle?