View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #10
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Exactly, each state is different. Here the insurance company pays for my loss and as long as the title is not marked "salvage" it isn't. The only reason a title is changed to salvage (COD) is for the insurance company to save money - a "salvage" title costs $7, a regular title is 10X that.

Now I am not a lawyer but it was explained to me like this: you have suffered a loss/damage for which the insurance company is compensating you. The concept of "totaled" merely means they have put a limit on their liability. The ownership (which is what the title is about) has not changed. If sell on then your obligation is to disclose that the damage occurred, its extent, and what was done to repair it. The title has nothing to do with this, it is merely a way to indicate and convey ownership.

At least this is how it works in Florida.

ps there are actually two forms of salvage title here: salvage rebuildable (rare) and salvage COD (certificate of destruction). With a COD the vehicle can never be licensed and can only be sold three times before being dismantled. This is the most common form because it is the least expensive.