View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
MisterP

Welcome to the TM repair how to page, have a problem with your TM's structure, well, this is the place for you!

Initially, I found a bargain TM for only $400.00, little did I know how much was needed to make it right!

This is a picture of the TM all set up in the RV shop. It saddened me to have the RV shop tell me that there was nothing I could do with it, and I'd be better off selling all the appliences out of it, turning it into a car hauler, and finding something better. I just couldn't let it go, especially when all it needed was some TLC!

So, I decided to take it on myself. What was wrong with it was all the wood in the outer front shell had rotted out completely. When it was set up, it took 4 people to get it right till it could be tied up to where it looks in the above picture. After conversing with the manufacturer, it would go to the sides because the wall where it connected with the ceiling was messed up, and therefore caused it to go outwards to the side. It would also open up too far which was explained to me that I needed 4 "Pocket Stop Kits", which I ordered from Trailmanor at a cost of only $10.00 apiece!

Here's a picture of one of those pocket stops, as you can see, there's not much to it, two screws hold it in place, then a piece of rubber is mounted to the end where the travel arm bumps shimmed up till everything's lined up. 1/8" shim under the stop equals 1 full inch of travel forwards or backwards. (If you look closely, you can see the white nylon shim just above the rubber, about .05 at any hardware store.)

As you can see, I made my own modification with it using the rubber grommet used for a radiator mount. I used plastic washers underneath that are 1/8" for the shims. I had to drill the holes to mount them to the pocket stops. Shown above is where only one was used, I used two side by side.

So, where might you ask yourself did I start? The roof/ceiling problem was first on the agenda. As the roof would fall over to the curbside without that being fixed, thats where I began.

In the above picture, what you see is where I knocked the old wood out completely out of the wall section, and replaced it with a 1"x1" piece of aluminum purchased at the local hardware store. To get it where I could work on it, I simply left the shell locked down, and inserted an old mop handle that was sitting atop a car jack. In retrospect, I probably should have put a small 2x4 above the mop handle so's not to put all the stress on one spot, but it turned out to be ok. I jacked it up a couple of inches, and voila', got it where I could work on it very easily. I then gently knocked out what wood was remaining with a chisle and rubber mallet, (there wasn't much), and blew it all out with my air compressor to clean and dry it out real good.
As per the Trailmanor factory, I just had to cement it in place with contact cement, but to take it a step further, I did some extra and drilled pilot holes every 15" and used 1" stainless steel screws to secure it in place. (Any longer than that, and it would have drilled right through to the inside). So what you see here is the finished wall section. As for the ceiling part, well, you can see there's not much wood left in it either, to include that small chunk down towards the rear, most of it was rotted out. Again, I simply used my chisle and mallet and got the rest out leaving only the screws that were there to secure the ceiling to the wall hanging down and a few rogue staples.

Now, as you can see in this next picture, the roof of the Trailmanor is comprised of actually two skins. The screws that held down the metal track along the top simply went through the two skins as far deep as the wood in the ceiling, but not into the wood in the wall. As I got into it and removed all those screws, and lifted the metal track that contains the screw cover, I found there was a second skin shown here where I stuck one of the short roof screws in to hold it up to access the much longer 2.5" screws that were alternated between the other screws that actually held the roof to the wall section.

In the above pic, the metal track is sitting up on it's side as I didn't break the bead of sealant on the center side of the track, just the one on the outside edge. This paid off later as I will tell why. For now tho, I still had the problem with the long 2.5" screws hanging down. With that old screw sitting where it was, in most cases, I was able to simply pull the old screws out. Where I couldn't, a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel got in there just fine and took care of business! I used it to cut the heads off the screws, and let them fall to the pavement below. Mind you, I'm less than 1.5 hours at this point into the whole project! Yeah, it only took me about 30-45 minutes to do the wall section, that's why there wasn't many pictures of me actually doing it, it went so fast, I didn't have time to mess with the camera!

What I did next is the same thing I did for the wall, only this time, I added a 1x.5" piece of TREATED wood behind the aluminum. I treated the wood really good with Thompson's wood sealant.

I got the "C" clamps at Big Lots for dirt cheap, bought 10 of em at 1.50 apiece! Beside that, you can see the wood I cut with my circular saw. I changed my mind about using the wood in the ceiling and used the aluminum instead. Anyway, what I did next was to insert the wood/aluminum combination in the ceiling just like I did with the wall, glued it in place, then instead of trying to deal with the second skin, I put a 2.5" torx screw in every hole along the top all the way through both peices of aluminum drilling a pilot hole for each one, then went back for extra strength, and put one in for good measure in between every one of those holes! There was a lesson learned here in the process though. I at first used stainless steel screws, and they kept stripping out......make sure your pilot hole is large enough to accept the screw! Anyways, to get the screw protector back in place, I simply used a screen tool I had laying around and rolled it right back in the track.....no problem....went right in!

Ok, so now the roof and the wall is secured, and that problem's now solved.....where to now being as most of my problem is needing the "pocket stops" installed, and to do so, I need the trailer UP! Well, I thought long and hard about it, and as I've not got the 5 people on hand to get the top up that it took the RV shop I had it in, I had to use a little ingenuity. Luckily, I have a "Boxer dog" who chews everything, including his tie downs and stuff when we're out and about. He chewed right through his leash one time in seconds and got free as he's not used to being tied down. We were visiting my girl's grandma, and he had to deal with a tie down for two hours and got right through it in seconds.....lol. I was mad at him at the time, but little did I know what he did for me and this trailer. I went straight out and bought him a 10 foot steel cable tiedown and one of those screw in thingys that go into the ground. Tie down has a blue plastic covering for his protection btw obtained at any Kroger's store for about 7-10 bucks, corkscrew tie down, less than 3 bucks. Luckily, I have a steep front yard, and a rock wall going up on either side, so I simply bought two of each, figured out where they needed to be, screwed em into the ground, and connected the tie to the front lift arms on either side to keep it from going too far forwards.

I simply lifted the front section which held in place because of the dog tie downs, lifted the rear section, and voila' the TRAILMANOR IS UP!!!!!!

Finally! Now I can get down to the serious business of getting my trailer up and rolling down the road! Long ago, I had thought about what to do to support the front section to get the pocket stops in place, to include building a contraption to use with the forklift at work when a VERY nice guy down at the Trailmanor factory made me feel pretty stupid......lol He said simply, "well, when we install em here, we just use a 2x4 to support the roof! DUUUUUHHHH.......Needless to say, it was a GREAT help to me.....sometimes it's worth feeling stupid! All I can say about that is Trailmanor is a really great company with really good people that stand behind their product 1000% They were so patient, and ALWAYS there to help, even though I bought mine 3rd hand! That tells ya a lot about a company. I had an RV shop telling me to get rid of it, JD down there at trailmanor said simply, "well, there's a lot you can do to fix it if ya want to, and NOTHING you can do if ya don't want to." It was a simple statement, that told me a lot. The RV shop didn't know or want to know what to do......and I could fix it on my own. Heck, TM could, why can't I? Now what's left is to wait on the new parts to get to me, install em, and install the pocket stops etc. Here's one more picture of it in my driveway.

A few people with newer TM's were curious about how my door keeps together, Soooo I decided to throw a link in there with a few pics
Go visit Bill's TM door?

Coming soon, though not in any particular order:
* 1) Replacing wood in bottom of front clam shell with aluminum/wood combo while replacing the wiring harness back where it needs to be along the outer shell edges.
* 2) Installing the "Pocket Stops".
* 3) Repairing a broken window.
4) Replacing the wood around the vents in the roof with aluminum.
5) Installing a cable socket.
6) Installing a 12v Socket.
7) Repairing the "Grey" water line that's also broken. (About a $15.00 easy fix).
8) Repairing the stabalizer legs, and/or replacing them with the newer style "sissor jacks".
9) Repainting the frame black.
10) Getting the furnace to light.
* 11) Getting the reefer to light.

(* Indicates tasks completed)

PDF of archived web page