View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #24
mmayville

Default RV vs. Hi-Lo vs. TM

There is a lot of helpful information in this forum when it comes to deciding which type of RV (Travel Trailer) to purchase for your family needs. My first Travel Trailer was a 2009 Road Runner full size. Pulling it was like pulling a billboard down the highway behind my Toyota Tacoma. Although it served us well and we had great times wherever we decided to setup, the wife had to climb over me to get out of bed which is explained in more detail at the end of this novel. :-) It was an impulse buy for us at 18' + 3' for the tongue hitch for a total of 22'. We met a couple in our travels through Michigan that had a 22T Hi-Lo which very much interested us because of the low profile towing. We traded the Road Runner (which by the way shook itself apart pulling it down the highway) for a Hi-Lo 17T (TowLite) at 2850 UVW and 3840 GRVW. It has served us well also but (*always one of these) it was too small for all of the things my wife brings on a road trip. We have run into the situation that the battery died on the road and had to hand jack the unit up. (real pain). So we have sold this unit as of yesterday. So the decision boils down to buying a larger Hi-Lo to fit our needs without having to make the bed every night or a TM which has the permanent beds that can stay made until you are ready to go home. The maximum weight that I can pull with my Tacoma is 6000 Lbs. with passengers and gear and that is pushing it. It has a 600 lbs. hitch weight. It does have the Heavy Duty Towing Package. The largest Hi-Lo I can tow safely is the 22T and stay within my towing weight. Still with the luxurious bathroom in the rear of the unit, beds still need to be made every night and the overhead bunk needs at least a 2 step to climb into and can remain made all day. But rounding 60 who wants to climb a step stool to get into bed 4' off the floor with the risk of breaking something new if you need to get up in the middle of the night? I have already posted on this forum that I am looking for a TM that will fit our needs and ease of setup is not a problem. Yes you push a button in the Hi-Lo and up it goes. But the underlying equipment not mentioned is the maintenance of the unit. There are cables and pulleys that do the heavy lifting plus a hydraulic pump that slides along a shaft to raise the unit. These need to be lubricated with white lithium grease every 6 months (not really a problem on the ground underneath on a creeper) to prevent rust and heaven forbid you break a cable. With all of the creeks and cracks and pops that my body has this has become a real chore for me. Hi-Lo is a well made product but cons are the weight and the maintenance. Yes nice to walk right in and little setup, however time to get a unit that does not require lubrication and moving parts. So with that said, I have heard of air leaks in the TM and the insulation being and issue, but have not seen much of it here on the forum. We are searching for the right TM. The wife likes the slide out sofa with the chair. I like the 3023 and am not sure what the measurements are for the slide out bed. Have to look at the floor plan and if it is a king bed (Measurements 78" X 78" ?) would eliminate the need to make the bed every night. The wife has had back surgery and I have a tendency to get up in the middle of the night which means she cannot climb over me in the morning to get out of bed. So any information that can be added to this lengthy post is deeply appreciated.

Mike

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4.0L
Many changes since I purchased it!
mmayville is offline   Reply With Quote