View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
camp2canoe

Default Another alternative

I have a bad hip and sleeping on the standard TM mattress in our '05 2619 was not a possibility for me. I bought some closed cell half inch foam as an under mattress pad (which we can leave on when we close up) but my hip still bottomed out. I experimented with a couple of other options including stacking both mattresses on top of the foam but never arrived at a good solution which didn't substantially increase the set up and take down time.

While packing for a canoe camping trip I looked at our two "Camp Rest" Therm-A-Rests and had an epiphany. These are the self inflating sleeping pads available from most camping outlets including Campmor.com and Cabela's.com. At the time we purchased ours 2" was the thickest but they now make a 3" model. With the closed cell foam, Therm-A-Rests and TM mattress we now sleep in comfort. When closing up we open the Therm-A-Rest valves and use them to pad the hanging cabinet and television which ride on the floor. As they are self inflating they use no power (although you can adjust the firmness by orally adding a couple of puffs of air) and add negligible time to the set up/take down process. It works for us! - Camp2Canoe