View Single Post
Old 08-20-2003, 04:02 PM   #10
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Camping in the Intermountain West vs elsewhere in the nation...

Carol wrote:
Quote:
We did find what we hope are nice campgrounds in the Black Hills (Rafter J Bar Ranch), the Tetons (Colter Bay Village) and near RMNP in CO(Nat'l Parks Retreat by the Fall River entrance). I have seen and stayed at one of the Estes Park campgrounds and will never do so again. Last time, we stopped in Loveland at the Riverview CG prior to heading into RMNP the next morning.
Not to burst your bubble, but from what I've seen, the Nat'l Parks Retreat CG is yet another jammed together Estes Park camground. The Fall River valley on the NW side of the town is quite narrow and property values are sky high...hence all the tourist operations along there are going to maximize their per-square-foot income. My perception is based on a quick look a couple of years ago so I could be overly pessimistic...just don't have your hopes set terribly high.

Quote:
We will be challenged to find solutions for the waste water in the Big Horn Mountains as all we could come up with was an electric only site in a NF CG for 1 week. The commercial CG's outside the NF area were not to our liking.
This is exactly what I've been trying to get at with this thread. The commercial CGs anywhere near where you want to go in the intermountain region are often just not acceptable....so the only decent camping choice is a NFS campground. But then there's the TM waste water issue. Quite frankly, what a lot of people do in really remote areas like the Big Horns is run a small garden hose grey water drain off into the forest 50 feet or so and then be pretty conservative with water. They use only the CG toilets and don't use the one in their trailer at all. I'm surprised you found an NFS CG with electric in Wyoming...so far I've only come across one electic NFS campground in all of Colorado.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote