View Single Post
Old 08-20-2003, 03:16 PM   #7
Carol
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Camping in the Intermountain West vs elsewhere in the nation...

RockyMtnRay,

We would absolutely love to camp in Nat'l Forests all the time. However, as you noted, the waste water is a problem. When we spent a week in RMNP a few years ago, we had to dump via the blue tote twice. Granted we were using the toilet for more than just liquids. My husband rigged up a hitch for the blue tote and we dumped at the park dump.

For our trip this fall, we have made a concerted effort to find nice full service campgrounds where we wanted to go, with the goal of finding state park like camp sites. On the way to and from our major destinations, we are staying at state parks in MN, SD, OK, KS and IA and one Nat'l Forest campground near Laramie, WY. We don't mind dry camping as long as it is not hot and need the AC, or if we're just staying for 1-2 nights.

We did find what we hope are nice campgrounds in the Black Hills (Rafter J Bar Ranch), the Tetons (Colter Bay Village) and near RMNP in CO(Nat'l Parks Retreat by the Fall River entrance). I have seen and stayed at one of the Estes Park campgrounds and will never do so again. Last time, we stopped in Loveland at the Riverview CG prior to heading into RMNP the next morning.

We will be challenged to find solutions for the waste water in the Big Horn Mountains as all we could come up with was an electric only site in a NF CG for 1 week. The commercial CG's outside the NF area were not to our liking. So, we're going to try the portapotti dumping technique mentioned elsewhere on this forum or haul 1/2 full blue tote in the back of the truck. The nearest dump is 5 miles down a highway - can't quite see towing the blue tote that far. LOL!

We have solved the power problem rather cheaply by recharging our extra battery while driving around sight seeing.

So, as you see, practicality comes into play. So, I answered the poll preferring full hookups - but in a great location, on a lake, river, etc. with lots of trees and space between sites. Unfortunately, these are hard to come by, so a choice has to be made.

Have fun whatever you do!

Carol & Stan
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote