View Single Post
Old 10-04-2004, 06:00 PM   #7
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default I gotta have a LOT of space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWilson
That fact of having such widely spaced campsites is an interesting concept. Typical California style camping is more like 15 to 25 feet minimum between neighbors, some have more space, maybe 40 or 50 feet. But typically the terrain is hilly that limits the campgrounds to groups of campsites that are reasonably flat enough to park and put up a tent. I like about 25-30 feet unless the neighbors are particulary noisy because I like the social aspect of camping.
75 feet between sites is my absolute minimum, 300 feet separation to the nearest neighbor is what I prefer and usually can get by choosing sites on the outer corners of the campsite loops and by camping exclusively during the middle of the week.

California is a very crowded state. Colorado is more crowded than Montana or Wyoming but still relatively spacious and the mountains aren't too bad at all during the middle of the week. I think that most of the Coloradans who use Forest Service Campgrounds during the week are seeking what I am...a "wilderness" experience and are trying, as I am, to get as far away from other people as is feasible. Socializing with other campers is NOT on their mind; it is certainly not on mine. I typically only will chat briefly (mostly just a quick "Hi") once...at most twice...with my immediately neighboring campers during the entirety of a 3 day campground stay. They keep to themselves and I certainly do the same. If a campsite has "noisy" campers, they are quickly reported to the campground host who quiets them right down.

Hopefully the only sound that will be heard in the campground is from the wind in the pines or the water in a nearby creek. Generally that's all that I do hear.
Quote:
I don't like the RV parks with 10 to 12 foot spacing and no trees.
Wholeheartedly agree. I have stayed exactly twice at commercial RV parks and hopefully will never have to undergo that horrifying experience again. It's not that the parks were dangerous...I simply was appalled at the tight campsite spacing...probably around 10 to 12 feet.

Quote:
Eating outside is what we prefer and most of the time the weather is nice enough for that 3 meals a day. If it gets a little chilly then we eat at the fire ring. But too cold for a fire? Hmmm. Never camped in Colorado but eventually we will try it. Thanks for the warning.
You might be able to do that at elevations below 6000 feet. But the really nice Forest Service campgrounds here are around 9000 to 10,000 feet and at those altitudes, the climate is essentially sub-arctic...about the same as sea-level in northern Alaska. Hence the temperature at breakfast time is about 35 degrees so be sure to bring your parka if you really want to eat outside (and expect your pancake syrup to be REALLY thick).

The temperature at dinner time is often around 45 to 50 as the temperature plunges when the sun starts to go down. If there's an afternoon thunderstorm (happens about 3 out of 4 days), there will be a cold rain or even a light snow falling (yeah, light snow is not at all uncommon at 10,000 feet during a summer storm). It was chilly enough at dinner time this summer that I frequently used the oven in my TM to bake my dinner...the heat coming off the stove felt darn good. The oven-baked Lasagna was just wonderful...even if it's not traditional camping food.

Granted, mid-day is not bad...around 70 or so...but very few folks stay in the campground all day as there's just too much to do activity wise...hiking, fishing, cycling, etc. Lunch for me is usually a Power-Bar while hiking.

During campfire time, the temperature at 10,000 feet is going to be in the low 50s to upper 40s with a good stiff breeze....colder if a thunderstorm had moved through. You will need heavy clothing, gloves and a hat to stay outside even if you're standing around a fire. Large campfires are discouraged by the authorities because of the fire danger and a small campfire is NOT going to keep you very warm when the windchill is in the 30s and 40s.

When you do decide to camp in Colorado's high country, be sure to bring plenty of warm clothing even in mid summer. I often include a mid-weight parka in my summer wardrobe.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote