View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
SDWEltoro

Default Bike, Camper, Tow Vehicle Challenges

I had thought of some of the same factors Bill. If I were going to pull a 25' or 27' series TM with the Escape I would not take the bike; perhaps I would if I have a small toy hauler. If with the Pickup (F-150 4X4)(with bike on the front drawbar), I would modify the rear suspension of the truck; install heavy duty air shocks, or something similar. Still not the most ideal as I would prefer the extra weight of the bike be over the axle(s) of the camper. I like the TMs towing characteristics (low) and camping living space capacity much better than toy haulers...., but..., wanting to carry the bike, or future UTV, will be a factor. Mounting on front might not work.

I have a ramp and portable bike front wheel chock. My pickup has a 6.5' bed, and I would have to leave the tailgate down, which is not ideal and might create a clearance problem with tongue apparatus, the jack. I could change to a swivel jack. I could probably put the bike in the pickup caddy-corner..., more challenge strapping the bike down. With the tailgate up it might be the solution. Think I will load it in the pickup that way this weekend; see how it fits, if it might work. If acceptable...that would solve one issue.

I will figure it out; may have to make some hard choices. I am not going to change my tow vehicles; will have to decide upon the camper.

Thanks for your help; appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I don't believe there is any TM model with a front porch. There are a couple models with a back porch, but I don't know enough about them to know if they could be rigged to carry a bike once they are closed.

I'm impressed by the picture, but the idea sounds a bit ambitious for the tow vehicle. If you put a 400-pound bike up front, on the A-frame, it will increase the hitch weight by about 400 pounds. Since the TM already has hitch weight of 400 pounds or more, this is going to be a challenge for the pickup, and out of range for the Escape (350 pounds max). The pickup (presumably an F-150) will need a WDH, but even a WDH won't solve the problem for the Escape.

Then there is towing capacity. A loaded-and-ready-to-camp TM has a total weight of 3600-4000 pounds or more. Adding a 400-pound bike gets you well above the rating of the Escape (3500 pounds max), though the F-150 can handle it "when properly equipped."

Bill
'97 Chaparral Open Bow "El Toro"
'03 Haulmark 6' X 10' Cargo Trl
'11 Droptail Bike/ATV/UTV Trl
'97 Boat Trl
SDWEltoro is offline   Reply With Quote