View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenne & Len View Post
We stayed at a KOA on the edge of Deadwood - really liked it. It was small, on a hillside.....
Oh, my! Every newbie makes mistakes, and this campground is where I made my biggest. As noted, the campground is on the side of a hill - a rather steep hill - and to fit it into the hillside, it is terraced. Each level of the terrace held one long row of campsites, all back-in, toward the edge of the terrace. I backed in OK, and then we proceeded to unhitch without chocking the wheels. Each site is near level, but slightly sloped toward the edge, for drainage, I assume. As soon as we lifted the hitch off the hitch ball, the TM started to roll slowly toward the edge of the site - and of course there was another row of occupied sites on the next level below us. Now, when a 3500 pound TM wants to roll, grabbing the jack and yelling doesn't get you anywhere. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to jump onto the trailer's A-frame, driving the jackpost into the dirt. That stopped it long enough for my wife to jam some chocks under the wheels.

As you can imagine, I changed my pants right away - and I've never again forgotten to chock the wheels.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote