View Single Post
Old 08-20-2003, 03:01 PM   #6
Windbreaker

Default Re:Camping in the Intermountain West vs elsewhere in the nation...

You're right on the age thing. I was not in the CCC! But lots of my family's friends were. Even though I'm young, I know lots of folks over 70 who did build not only our parks but most of our nation. Even just 50 years ago the parks were not use as they are today.

Ever been to 7 Falls? We use to go by there each summer and make it a little 1 to 2 hour stop over. No lines, at first no cost, no paved road, no parking (other than along side the road) almost never saw anyone up there. I haven't been there in 40 or more years but they tell me that there is a long line outside the turn off all summer long now. That's why I don't go anymore.

They tell me you have to have reservations at most nationl parks now. Not at the ones I stay in. A place starts getting that crowded we find someplace else.
And now days that someplace else most likely has private campground (s) close to it. In fact it would be my guess that I could show you places in your state not even an outdoorsman as yourself knows about. Don't forget, Colorado and New Mexico are Texan's playgrounds. Guess we have primal memories of when the rockies were part of our country.