View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #23
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
A power latch-down system, kinda like the automatic tailgate latch on newer SUVs? Larry, I'm liking this more and more. Keep going!

Bill
If the power latch system were like your screw jack idea, except to pull the shell down instead, it could be operated by a cordless drill or manually. This could remain a foolproof mechanism that would rarely fail, but have the power option.

My only concern with increased torsion bar assistance when opening is that that tension is constantly pushing up on the shell. If they continued to use those little tent trailer style hold down clamps at the corners, they would be more likely to pull away from the side of the trailer. I think one would have to use 4 of those heavy latches that they use in the centre of the trailer, one at each corner of the shell. The power latch-down system could simply pull the shell down until each latch engages.

I think I'd also like to see some vertical aluminum pieces from the pockets stops to the upper horizontal shell frame. This would take the forces off the skin of the shell. The drawback is that the aluminum would make a cold spot in those locations along the wall.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote