View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 10:37 PM   #9
digditches
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefLamont View Post
Checklists are a huge help throughout the whole process, especially final walk through.

If you and the seller have the ability to use Skype, a pretty good walk through can be done remotely with that. Most sellers wont spend hours doing that but you can get a really good idea of what you have in a 15-20 min showing over Skype if they are willing and able. Them taking a video on a phone or camcorder is an alternative. Third alternative is TONS and TONS of pictures. If the seller is unwilling to do any of it, it may not mean anything, but to me it is a red flag or at least a strike against it.

I know it is really nerve racking buying something sight unseen. I bought a 5th wheel and tow vehicle all in one ebay auction for my parents one time. In my opinion, many times you can judge people and what they are about in a couple of conversations. Are there dishonest people? Sure, but most folks are pretty decent. Plus I would work the transaction so there is a good sized deposit to hold it that is only refundable if the seller grossly misrepresents something. Do as much as you can in writing (email or other) especially confirming and documenting telephone calls. That way if things are way not kosher, you can demand money back. Plus the deposit gives the seller the assurance you are serious and not just yanking their chain from long distance. I have been on the other side of the coin too when I helped sell my parents diesel pusher on Craigslist. (Yes, my parents have had several RVs, and I am a good son. Thanks for asking. ) I can tell you, unless it is a dealer, the seller is just as anxious and concerned with a long-distance transaction as you are, maybe more-so. Lastly, keep in mind that it is a camper. There WILL be something wrong with it. Heck, new ones off the showroom floor of every brand have something wrong at times. Worry about protecting yourself against the big things and dont sweat the small stuff because there will almost definitely be small stuff. Hopefully, that will help ease the mind.

Good luck and report back on how it goes.

My 1/50 of a dollar.

-Steve
I agree, most folks are honest. When the dealer found out we were serious about purchasing the unit and driving a distance, he immediately offered to do a narrated video for us. We're waiting for that now. They also agreed to hold the unit longer than normal with a refundable deposit due to the distance.

We also had one place recommend that we not travel for the unit they had on their lot. It was a consignment unit and was being sold as-is.

The link to the checklist is going to be very helpful during the walkthrough and will help make us aware of things to look at.

Still nervous about driving 1,000+ miles to purchase something only seen in pictures.
digditches is offline   Reply With Quote