View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
brulaz

Good advice. I'll copy all this to Trailmanor.

Here's some more, relatively minor "fit & finish" issues with the Elkmont that we discovered after leaving the dealer.

- The plywood cover over the furnace severely crimped the fresh water tank entry hose. It was a simple matter to cut a gap in the cover and free the hose.

- The small lower window in the Emergency exit was initially stuck closed. Texas RV Center got it open, but later we realized that it now doesn't completely seal when closed. The frame needs to be adjusted. I plan to take a file to it.

- Over-the-kitchen-sink window had over-tightened screws on the frame crimping the window track so the window wouldn't open completely. Loosening the screws and uncrimping the track fixed it.

- Both the over-the-kitchen-sink and emergency window inside frames were poorly installed, with bulges and large gaps between the frame and wall. In many cases it looked like screws were over-tightened causing the inside frame to distort.

- The kitchen sink rim is not flush with the counter top. There are 3 mm large gaps. An extra clamp in the middle of each side might bring it down. Also there is no caulk that I can see. Also no caulk in bathroom sink.

- The bathroom sink and counter assembly is not mounted flush right against the vertical cabinet. The gap is covered with a plastic strip around the counter and another plastic angle bit further down.

- The grey water hose connect is solidly mounted to a bracket. However the black water hose connect is only loosely mounted with metal plumber's tape.

- The battery box was secured and vented but the top wasn't attached to the bottom, the wires holding them apart. I think it's a sealed battery so maybe this is not important.

Again, no "show-stoppers", but a general sense of poor workmanship and Quality Control in certain areas. If you don't want to deal with these issues yourself, buy from a dealer close by.

Would we do this again? Definitely.

We already love the thing, especially the interior layout, the large frig/freezer and kitchen space, the bathroom design, the composite panel engineering.

And just moving up from tent camping to this thing is moving into a whole new world of luxury, like taking a hot shower in a warm bathroom on the shores of Lake Erie while it was snowing and blowing outside ...

We're planning more trips soon.