Thread: Ransom ware
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #11
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Not really TM related but have lost track of the number of operating systems/computers I've known. Started with Assembly language and Fortran II on a SEL-800, then a number of IBM mainframes, PGPs, Eclipses. When worked at GDFW I used to come in at 6pm and leave at 6am so I could get complete use of the system & did not matter if needed to reboot a few times. Was about then I had my own 10MB 18" platter and didn't know how I'd ever fill it. Got very good at 16kb overlays.

Learned UNIX sometime in the '70s but have never been a good typist so the long names and case sensitivity were a bother.

Since the early 80s have had mainly PCs but at various times had different things that ran interpretive BASIC (Commodore, Sinclair). Had an Apple II, SE, Lisa, and various Macs both Motorola and Intel. Currently have a '08 MacBook that just became obsolete.

But my employer was mainly PC so that has been my main system, tend to have what I support. My main desktop is a frankenPC that may still have parts from the 80's and has removable drives so can choose the OS but running Win10-64 creator's and feeding multiple 27-28" LCDs at the moment.

Most of the Androids I've seen were BusyBox Linux based but I like my Galaxy S5/Android 6 (latest in a number of them). Talks to both my cars and my Sony wristwatch. BTW OS/X & iOS are Linux under the covers also

Apples are great computers for people who do not like computers, they require little thought to use. What they do they do very well, problem is that do not do very much & Apple treats memory/storage as a profit center (have a 64GB SD card in my S5).

So Apple has a place mainly IMNSHO for those with a lot of peer pressure and more money than branes.

Funny thing is that under the covers Apples and PCs both pay big bucks to Intel. C'est la meme chose.