View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
Philip

Default Fill The Water Tank While TM Is Folded Down

I always found it to be a great aggravation to have to open the TM to fill the water tank. I have the optional 40 gallon tank in my 2008 2720 TM and I never tow with water in the tank. Since I generally have a site without water I had, before my modification, to open the TM at the water supply to fill and then shut it down to go to my site.

Here is what I did to eliminate that problem. My water tank is on the front left side of the TM and the factory fill cap is on the left side. I abandoned the factory fill spot and installed a new fill cap in the left side of the fixed forward wall and ran a fill tube from this cap to the existing fill point on the tank. The new fill cap and tube is below the left front seats so it is out of site on the inside. Since the forward shell covers this fill cap when down I cut a hole in this shell just in front of the new fill cap and installed a round marine deck plate ring which mounts in this hole which is about 5" in diameter. The deck plate cover screws into this ring and seals with an "O" ring. The whole deck plate assembly is white plastic and hardly noticeable. When I want to fill the tank, I just unscrew the deck plate cover and reach through to uncap the new water fill point with the TM still closed up. When finished filling, I screw the deck plate cover back on and proceed to my site. I also installed a deck plate ring and cover on the inside of the new outside deck plate cover to make it neater on the inside. I hardly ever use the inside cover since the outside deck plate cover does not look very bad when exposed in the inside while the TM is open. Also you would have to remember to take the inside cover off prior to folding down the TM so you can get to the new fill cap. However, I discovered that should you forget to remove the inside cover you can get it off from the outside but it is not so easy. The marine deck plates are available at West Marine supply stores.

It is important to buy a good hole saw, fixed diameter - not adjustable to drill the holes in the TM walls and take your time. Careful measuring is required to locate the hole for the deck plate such that it is directly in front of the new fill cap with the TM folded down. A cheap project which takes care to install and saves me a lot of aggravation.

Take care,

Phil

TM - 2008 2720, 15" Wheels, Two 4D Lifeline AGM Batteries, Linklite Battery Monitor, Self Adjusting Brakes.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote