View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 04:25 PM   #17
Happytrails

Default Re:Anyone using a GPS?

In my business, we get "points" similar to camel bucks, or marlbouro miles for buying product. We've never cashed in on all the points we had aquired, so we all split up half the points to 200,000 points apiece, to get whatever we wanted. I got a Garmen Etrex Legend with my points, and I'd have to say they've come a long way since my last GPS unit which was a Lawrence. It retails about $212.00 or so, and does show most roads, as well as tell you what services are available at the next exit up ahead. I've been VERY pleased with this unit, and is MUCH more accurate, (down to 15 feet on a good day). It also supports the WAAS system, and if put in that mode, is accurate down to 3 feet if the correct satalites are available. That is every bit as accurate as the military GPS units that aren't fooled by the Selective Availability of the satalites. (Which is in place to fool civilian GPS units on purpose). For those of you that are familiar with military grid, it does support MGRS. For those of you that have never used a military GPS, or "slugger" as we affectionally called them in the infantry, they do not have any fancy screens or maps, they simply show your grid coordinate, and it's up to you to find yourself on the map in your pocket. At any rate, if anyone in here is looking for a decent GPS, at a decent price, I highly recommend the Garmin Etrex Legend, you really get a lot of bang for your buck, and it will go for hours and hours on one set of batteries. It's very small, smaller than my cell phone, and just an all around good unit. You can find this GPS at any Wallmart Store in the sporting goods section. You can also use all the Garmin software with it. Hope this helps people!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]