View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 01:13 PM   #12
Larry_Loo

Default Re:Anyone using a GPS?

Windbreaker, you'd be surprised at how many very insignificant roads are included in the GPS databases like Mapsource's City Navigator. Another thing that you can do is to input a forest service map showing the areas in which you're planning to travel into your GPS. There are quite a few, inexpensive software programs written for GPS units (mainly Garmin, I've found) that allow one to scan in a map, load it into the GPS, and finally plug in a few latitude and longitude coordinates to give the GPS unit reference points. Then you can navigate offroad with that particular map and it will show on your moving map - if you're using a unit equipped with one. I purchased a $30 program over a year ago but haven't made the time to try it out. If you're contemplating doing this kind of offroad travel, it's best to research the GPS units - and software written for them - before you purchase your new GPS. I will find the GPS information site that I used in the past and post the link to it later. Finally, there are some reputable Internet dealers who will sell you a GPS unit at a big discount. I ourchased my StreetPilot III for $770 from an Internet store when our local stores were selling it for $1,000 to $1,200.

One final consideration: the color screen, moving map GPS units consume a lot more electrical power than the handheld ones with a black and white screen. If your GPS usage is primarily for vehicular navigation, then a color, moving map GPS will suit you fine. It will be happy on its diet of DC power emanating from the cigarette lighter's outlet. Take it out of the vehicle for a hike, however, and you'll discover that it will only last about 5 or 6 hours on its onboard batteries. If you need a GPS unit for both vehicular navigation and backwoods hiking, you might compromise on a handheld unit that will run for a long time on its own batteries. The handheld unit, however, won't have all of the additional, unique features that can make highway GPS navigation such a pleasure. : :