Thread: Ransom ware
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 05:42 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ransomware sufferers -

Were your infected computers running Windows XP? I have two rather nice desktops, both running XP, set aside because I don 't dare use them. Neither can be upgraded to Win 7, so they are now boatanchors. I just don't have much faith that Microsoft's one-time emergency update to Win XP will be a long-term solution.

I've replaced them with a couple smaller Win 7 desktops, plus a laptop running Win 10. I don't like Win 7, though I am gradually getting used to it. I really dislike Win 10, but maybe I will get used to it as well. Would love to find some way to insulate XP from these problems.

Mark, I don't think your ransomware infection came from this site. We've not had enough reports to make it likely, and we clean out any spam very quickly.

By the way, it seems to be common knowledge among those who are computer professionals (not me, in other words) that it is a bad idea to run multiple anti-virus programs at the same time. Apparently they can interfere with each other, obscuring things that should be simple, and failing to protect against some malware.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote