View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 02:01 AM   #8
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Wink Just one wrong lesson "learned" (maybe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandanne View Post
I'd diligently kept the pressure up to 65psi throughout the life of the tires....
Your trailer is the heaviest of TM's single-axle models, so 65 PSI isn't as "insanely bad" as it would be with mine. And if you load the trailer really heavy, it might not even be that far off. But unless the tire is "loaded up" very close to it's maximum rated load, all the manufacturers of ST tires recommend that air pressure be reduced. Here's the table from Maxxis; my Goodyear "Marathon table" contains the exact saame pressure recommendations, even though the two brands don't offer all of each others' sizes:

ST225/75R15, maximum speed rating 65MPH

LOAD LIMIT ..... RECOMMENDED
(lbs per tire) ..... INFLATION (psi)

1430 .................. 25
1600 .................. 30
1760 .................. 35 (max for Load Range B )
1880 .................. 40
2020 .................. 45
2150 .................. 50 (max for Load Range C )
2270 .................. 55
2380 .................. 60
2540 .................. 65 (max for Load Range D )
2620 .................. 70
2720 .................. 75
2830 .................. 80 (max for Load Range E )

It's a bad idea to inflate to more than about 10 PSI above the listed pressure (cold PSI) for the load which you're putting on the tire -- bad the TM, because the contents get shaken; bad for the TorFlex, because it has to handle almost all of the road roughness by itself (with hardly any help from the tires); bad for handling, because the tires can't "flex" properly; and bad for the tires too (stead of bending as designed, they undergo unintended stresses-- perhaps creating more microscopic cracks in the process.)

If I ran my tires the way TM recommends, it would be like those old "Flintstones" cartoons. How Wilma's hair stayed perfect, while Fred kept hitting potholes with tires made of rocks, I just don't know.
TM says "65 PSI, the maximum on the sidewall." Goodyear and Maxxis say, for me, about (CORRECTED) 39-40 PSI minimum inflation-- and I that believe Goodyear knows more about this than TM does. I run at 48-50 PSI most of the time. My 2619 is a lot lighter than your 3124, but 65 PSI might be too much in your case too. Have you ever visited a truck scale, loaded up in your "normal" way?