View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Well, here's my problem.

My Elkmont's dry weight is 3000#. Let's make that 4000# wet weight.

If the tongue weight ends up being 12% of trailer wet weight(or 480#), that would leave 3520# on the trailer axle, which supposedly has a max of 3500#.

If the tongue weight is 13%, there's 3480# on the axle.
If 15%, there's 3400#.

So there doesn't seem to be much wiggle room for throwing weight back onto the trailer axle under full load. And under a lighter load, it's less necessary.

Maybe I'm mistaken about the axle rating though. I'll try to get more info on that, or maybe there's an Elkmont owner here that could tell me?

And I would still like to know the top-of-ball height on a level Elkmont. (hint-hint)

There is not much wiggle room on any of the TM designs and most owners run right up to or somewhat over the limit. I think that is why TM went to the 15" wheel in 2010 models.

I believe that all TM's use the same 3500# Dexter axle. My information indicates the TM factory ( in 2004) changed the way it calculates the TM Gross Axle Weight Ratings (GAWR). It is now 3,500# plus the weight of tires, rims & drums (items that are not carried by the axle). This GAWR value now appears to be 3,640#, not 3,500#.

If your TM has labels like my 2010 3326, there should be a label on the backside of a sink cabinet door that gives full details of the allowed weight loading. The attached .pdf shows weight information that I have gathered on various TM models and model years. It's a work in progress, so if you wish, I will add any "actual" weight information that you finally obtain for your Elkmont.

Hope this is helpful.

Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TM GTW3a.pdf (48.6 KB, 414 views)
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote